Sunday, April 1, 2012

Truckee River - They're still at it

I didn't see many bugs today with the cold snap, just a few BWO's and a couple caddis. Though some of the rainbows are finished spawning, as evidenced by numerous abandoned redds, some aren't. Today, in one of my usual haunts, I found a hot bed of spawning activity right in town. I snapped some pics but all you can see are a couple of silhouettes. This gravel bed had no less than a dozen fish moving over it and fending off redds, though I only observed one active pair spawning. I'd say about 3 or 4 of the fish I observed were over 2 feet including the pair that was still spawning, the male looked like it was a toad. It was cool just to watch them (just watch them) from a far. In another week or two the bows should be done with their ritual and back in their normal feeding slots. I got a few bows and lost a few, none near redds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment