Monday, October 24, 2011

Little Truckee - 20/20

Man, it would have been perfect out there on the LT, but for the crowds. I snuck up for a half day session in the middle of last week and pretty much had to fish "peripheral" water, meaning, someone was on every hole on my "A" list so I had to fish the pocket water in between. Luckily, the flows were fairly high @126cfs and fish were evenly distributed throughout the river. I put a sweet 20/20 in the net. I spent nearly an hour pursuing him, switching up a dozen or more dry/dropper combos until I got it to sip a #20 midge emerger sub surface presented behind a trailing-shuck midge which I used as an indicator. For those not in the know, a 20/20 is a 20" or better trout on a #20 or smaller fly. This guy definitely met that threshold.Lots of bugs out, including a few October caddis, but a smaller tan caddis dominated.Kokanee were stacked up at Boyington Mill, resting at the weir. A couple browns have made their way up for their annual ritual but most are still in the lake due to the unseasonably warm weather.

Nobody cares unless it makes it to the net, but this is all I have to show for a 22" bow that I fought for nearly 5 minutes. This is a video still of my second netting attempt before he decided he no longer liked my fly.
Here is the release of the 20/20. He was one of the most beautiful LT fish I've seen, it almost looked like it was wanting to spawn based on the coloration, though bows are spring spawners.

1 comments:

Brian J. said...

Beautiful colors on that 20/20

Post a Comment