Sunday, March 4, 2012

Truckee River - Like a Roll'n Stone


Two words for the Truckee today..."Stone Flies", and lots of em. Adult Skwalas were out in force and the fish were honing in on their nymphs. I cutoff my midge dropper and rigged up a double Skwala rig, hit some faster water and had some luck. I only landed a few smallish bows, but big brownies can't resist this T-Bone of the insect world.




Stones are not in the slow water, they're in fast running, oxygenated water, and fish feeding on them are in the same. I tested out my new switch rod today (idea for the setup courtesy of Gilligan) which was awesome. Roll casts send it out there and high sticking is actually possible for the hard-to-reach water.
Fellow contributor Dan and I attend the Fly Fishing Film Tour in downtown Reno. What a great event, sweet videos and lots of avid anglers that love fly fishing as much as us. It was a treat to meet many of the moguls of the Reno and Truckee fly fishing scene (including event coordinators Matt Heron and Dave Lass) and catch up with some old pals. This was the first one they've done in Reno and the turnout was excellent. I highly recommend going to next year's event, we'll post it when it comes up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment